Dec 27, 2018 / by Spearhead Lodge / In Blog
With the New Year around the corner, you might be thinking about some goals for 2019 – or some ways you can increase your confidence, make your recovery stronger and add to your new fulfilling sober life. While making lofty resolutions can be risky for those in recovery – it can cause frustration and self-doubt – setting a few realistic goals for yourself is a great way to kick off the new year.
Not sure where to start? One strategy is to start by identifying the certain areas of your life that could benefit from a bit of goal-setting. For example:
- Personal recovery
- Financial management
- Personal health and fitness
Next, list a small, attainable goal next to each area. Here are a few ideas to inspire you:
- Try a new 12-step meeting. Aim to add one new 12-step meeting to your weekly or monthly schedule. It will help you step outside your comfort zone, expose you to new people and ideas and widen your support system.
- Make one positive lifestyle change. Pick one thing you can do to improve yourself or your recovery and make it specific. For example, go for a 20-minute walk three times a week or go to bed a half hour earlier each night or write in a journal for 10 minutes before lights out.
- Take time to volunteer. Identify a cause that’s close to your heart and contact the organization to find exactly how you can help – and then schedule it into your calendar.
- Incorporate sober fun into your weekly schedule. The goal of sober fun is a smart one – and can help you fully enjoy life in 2019. The possibilities are endless – just start with one activity that you know you enjoy. For example, set a date with a friend to see a movie.
Goal-Setting at Spearhead
In active addiction, the only goal is to survive day by day. In recovery, however, it’s essential to set realistic, attainable goals for yourself and we’ll help you do just that. To learn about our Life Skills Curriculum, call today: 866-905-4550.